We are an Event Photography service. Our photos of celebrities run in publications all over the world. Feel free to contact us at 917 445 1798.

Monday, February 14, 2005

Sullen Tanster

I don't know if what I have is writer's block. I got up to a point in my script, page 33. My characters are established, their world is established etc. Galilea is a pushy narcissist, Zack her boyfriend is haunted by his game box. Galilea was once a teen pop star. Now she can't deal with the fact that no one is interested in her, most importantly her father. She's trying to make a great short so the world will finally recognize her "genius".

I have a fairly strict view of narcissists. (Both of my parents are narcissists.) They are:

selfish
vain
charming
manipulative
lacking in empathy

Anyway, that's the very short list. There are certain areas where narcissists thrive:

parenthood
religion
entertainment
education
charity

Again, a rather short list. I could go on forever about the nature of narcissist behavior. I always felt that if I could understand that kind of heartlessness, I'd understand why my parents were so heartless towards me.

So this is rather tender subject about which I am very emotional.

Where I left off in the script, Galilea feels that her short has "bad karma". I imagine that I'd like to see her initiate various religious rituals. Example: she builts an ancestor worship shrine, she meditates in buddhist robes, she lights a candle at a Catholic church and takes communion, she goes into a field to pick a four leaf clover. Anything. The object is to show that Galilea wants the world to bend to her will. In this way religion can be manipulative and deceiving. I want to show the hypocrisy of some religious sentiment through her.

I've been looking at religion, ritual, karma anything like that on google. I am not adverse to spirituality at all. I'm adverse to bullshit. I do understand that this subject is sensitive. On the net, one woman described her spiritual transformation, more or less like this:

I grew up brahmin caste in India. We worshipped many gods . . . one day I became a Christian . . . I prayed to go to college, He answered my prayers. I prayed to get a husband, he answered my prayers.

So on and so forth. I'm pretty familiar with the fundamentalist Christian outlook. It's not all bad but I felt stifled by it. There are those that see "God" as the divine goodie giver. "I wanted a Lexus and he answered my prayers. Praise the Lord!"

I was at church and a lady praised the Lord for the parking space that she got in front of TJ Maxx. The Lord knew what a rough day she'd had.

This sort of thinking is suspect. And dare I say it? It's a bit narcissistic.

I want to express this aspect of human behavior in a funny way without being more offensive than I have to. I don't have an axe to grind with religion. My problem is with human behavior.

Day after day passes and I can't get how to express this narcissistic hypocrisy of religion. Then I tell myself I'm striving for too much. If I can refrain from impatience maybe I should hang in there until I get how to say what I'm trying to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Web Counter
Free Counters